Sunday, May 10, 2009

Helping Parents Keep Their Kids Safe

It is hard for parents to get the information they need on car seat safety. I thought I was knowledgeable on safety issues. I did a ton of research. When my son outgrew his car seat, I bought the best booster I could find (the Britax Frontier) and did my best to install it according to the directions. However, I recently learned that I didn't get it right.

I learned because I sent one of my employees to a training course to become a certified child passenger safety technician. When he got back, he inspected my booster and told me that it had too much slack. If properly tightened, it should not move more than one inch in any direction. So even though I had done my homework and spend good money to buy the best protection around, my son was still not fully protected because I did not know how to install it properly.

I did some research, and learned that at least 80% of the child seats in the US are improperly installed. That means that of the parents that are actually making the effort to protect their kids, only 2 out of 10 are getting the protection they deserve. In the long run, manufacturers need to figure out a way to make child seats easier to install, or to give us better instructions. In the meantime, I've decided to do my little bit to help.

The Cowen Law Group will provide free child restraint inspections to any parent who wants one. If any parent wants our certified child passenger safety technician to inspect their car seat, all they have to do is call our office at (956) 541-4981 and make an appointment. If the child seat is improperly installed, we will reinstall it at no charge. If the child seat is not the right kind of seat for the child, we will educate the parent about what seat is needed and, if the parent does not have the financial resources to purchase a new seat, we will provide information regarding programs that assist parents in getting child restraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment